Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Self Briefing - 1

Further Education College Education

I have just spent a great day at Lambeth College with the staff in the Construction Department, a Centre of Excellence for Construction. What a day. Absolutely brilliant. They are all so enthusiastic about their work and eager to help, I was bowled over! The Department is involved with a number of high profile projects in the London and this is something they are justifiably proud of.

The upshot is that from them kindly sharing some of their knowledge and expertise with me, I can see that taking what I know from Engineering across to Construction is going to be anywhere near as big a problem as I first imaged. That is some a relief, I can tell you! There are still clearly big gaps in my knowledge base but the other members of the VSO team assigned to this project are almost certainly going to cover my shortfalls. So, game on as they say. Result!

I am returning to the college tomorrow to visit the Engineering Department on another fact finding mission. Now that I have got back in the saddle, so to speak, after a 5 year absence for the world of work, I am really looking forward returning. I have to thank Len, the Head of the Construction Department for helping with this 'back to work' process. He made me feel as though I hadn't been away and I thank him for that. A brilliant day. Not work at all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment