Sunday, August 23, 2009

Book - On Roads

Very readably written.  Check this review in the Telegraph.  Couple of pieces that made me chuckle.

Lord Byron writing to Thomas Moore in 1817.

"Last week I had a row on the road....with a fellow in a carriage, who was impudent to my horse....I wheeled round,  rode up to the window, and asked him what he meant.  He grinned, and said some foolery, which produced him an immediate slap in the face, to his utter discomfiture.  Much blasphemy ensued, and some memace, which I stopped by dismounting and opening the carriage door, and intimating an intention of mending the road with his immediate remains, if he did not hold his tongue.  He did it."

Much, much later in 1994, involves

an elder from a London Synagogue getting out of his Mercedes and punching a Buddhist monk sitting in a Nissan Micra.

Why do I find that absolutely hillarious???

No comments:

Post a Comment