Thursday, October 28, 2010

Orcas kill whales you know.

After the surfers, we walked along the cliff top at Dunsborough Head on the look out for whales.

This Southern Wright whale was in a small bay about 200/250 mtrs from where I was standing, just round the corner from the surfer dude.
And then there were two, mum and calf. I thought at the time that the calf's head looked blooded,

Then 60 seconds later this huge black fin rammed into the mother whale. I estimate it to be 6 feet high. A killer whale dorsal fin.

The camera was set on action shooting at 3 frames a second. The whole thing took less that 1 second. Needless to say I was a bit stunned.

I watched this drama for 15 mins in which time the orca made at least 7 surface runs at the mum or the calf.

Before I could get the camera to my eye, it would be all over. I did get 7 runs on film. These last two show the orca going for the calf's head. I couldn't be absolutely sure, but I think there were up to 3 orcas down there.

This video clip shows what a pod of orca's can do. My experience was no where near as dramatic as the these tourists, but I was left feeling much the same as them. In disbelief and despair. Still feel it now when I look at these pictures. I doubt I will take such affecting pictures ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment